    RE: iSCSI Security mechanisms

    David:

    Let me mention a few other things to bear in mind while considering tossing
    out IKE and replacing it with some as yet unbaked SRP-based keying scheme.
    I've been trying to follow the exchanges and have not seen these points
    raised, but please excuse the posting if I missed a couple.

    It is very awkward to manage replay sequence number detection with manually
    keyed IPsec associations. Basically, you have to manually assign the SPI's
    that go with them as well. IKE provides an exchange of SPI and address
    values along with establishing keys. Hence it makes it fairly easy to create
    and re-create security multiple associations, all with replay sequences
    starting from zero and dynamically assigned SPI's.

    So, you wouldn't have to just add ciphersuite negotiation to SRP, you would
    have to add other stuff like SPI and address values, too, maybe more.
    Interoperable re-keying without dropping packets has proven to be pretty
    tricky to get right, after many bakeoffs, but most implementations now do,
    and the most useful technique involves synchronizing the switch over with
    the IKE phase 2 exchange.

    It might really be quicker to define a profile for IKE to use the identities
    you want, even if it means registering a new identity type or providing some
    scheme for using ID_KEY_ID, aggressive mode, and things like that, rather
    than invent a whole new securiy protocol (and get it past the security
    police).

    --Joe