    iSCSI Security mechanisms

    At the risk of exciting this nest of hornets, here's
    a summary of the current WG rough consensus on iSCSI
    security requirements for implementations.  I'm doing
    this both because I've received some off-line indications
    of confusion and because the Nashua minutes aren't
    as clear about this as they could be:

    - In-band iSCSI authentication
    	SRP - REQUIRED
    	all other mechanisms - OPTIONAL

    - Cryptographic communication integrity (these are
    	all IPSec components):
    	ESP with null encryption - REQUIRED
    	ESP with non-null encryption - OPTIONAL
    	AH - OPTIONAL
    	IKE - OPTIONAL

    I would note that anyone considering encryption
    ought to be working on/with AES, not just 3DES.

    This leaves open the issue of where the key(s) for
    ESP come from.  IKE is OPTIONAL, and use of SRP to
    supply keys for ESP is NOT REQUIRED (not even
    specified - I need to find the time to work on
    writing this up).  This leaves pre-shared keys as
    the minimum mechanism, and hence I believe that
    a suitably secured administrative interface to
    supply pre-shared keys to ESP will have to be
    REQUIRED for interoperability even if a dynamic
    keying mechanism like IKE is implemented.

    +1 (508) 435-1000 x75140     FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500