    Re: More on iSCSI boot

    David,

    I don't think I am confused by terminology (although I might be!).
    In PXE as in all network boots the boot image is a file and you can do with
    it
    all sorts of authentication (that is what I call a bounded process).

    In a SCSI boot  the target has no way of distinguishing a read for boot
    from a read for a fully operational
    initiator (the boot is unbounded).  Authenticating this type of "unbounded
    image" is hard.
    You can imagine various schemes but all of them are hard and many of them
    require heavy administration and cooperating third parties (DHCP and
    others).

    An authentic DHCP is but a small item in the foolproofing boot.

    Considering what an "infected" boot can do to an organization standardizing
    a 2 phase process might
    be the way to go (very little external support is required) but we lack the
    required experience to attempt even this now.

    We some patience we might get a secure boot even over an unsecured DHCP (as
    we get secure communication over unsecured channels).

    David Robinson <David.Robinson@EBay.Sun.COM> on 31-05-2001 07:00:00

    Please respond to David Robinson <David.Robinson@EBay.Sun.COM>