    iSCSI: More draft-06 comments

    Julian-

    Here are a few more comments and proposed clarifications
    on draft-06.  I apologize if some of them overlap with
    comments made already.

    --
    Mark

    1.2.4 - We'd like to add a clarification on the use of the keyword
    "none" versus silently ignoring the key.

    If a target does not explicitly send back <key>=none, the initiator will
    not be sure whether the target selected none, or didn't understand the
    option.  On each offered key, there are four choices a target can make:

       <key>=<some-value>
       <key>=none
       <key>=reject
       <key>=NotUnderstood

    Given these options, the responding party MUST NOT silently ignore
    a key.  The alternative is to remove the NotUnderstood value and have
    silently ignoring a key to mean the same thing, although it's probably
    best to be explicit.  BTW, are the reserved words case-sensitive?

    The following is our understanding of what this section means:

    1.2.4 Text Mode Negotiation

       During login and thereafter some session or connection parameters are
       negotiated through an exchange of textual information.

       In "list" negotiation, the offering party sends a list of values for
       a key in its order of preference.

       The general format of text negotiation is:

          Offer-> <key>=<value1>,<value2>,...,<valuen>
          Answer-> <key>=<valuex> | "none" | "reject" | "NotUnderstood"

       There are four possible <valuex> answers:

       <key>=<valuex>

           The responding party answers with the first value from the list it
           supports and is allowed to use for the specific initiator.

       <key>=none

           The responding party supports none of the values in the list.
           "none" is also a valid keyword within the Offer, for example:

           DataDigest=crc-32C,none

           means that the offering party would prefer using crc-32c, but
           will accept "none" as well.

       <key>=reject

           If a target is not supporting, or not allowed to use with a specific
           initiator, any of the offered options, it may use the value "reject".
           The values "none" and "reject" are reserved and must be used only as
           described here.

       <key>=NotUnderstood

           If the responding party did not understand or recognize a key,
           it must indicate this with NotUnderstood.

       The values "none", "reject", and "NotUnderstood" are reserved and
       must be used only as described here.  They are case-insensitive.

       The responding party MUST NOT silently ignore any keys sent by the
       offering party, and MUST respond with one of the four above options.

       In "numerical" negotiations, the offering and responding party state
       a numerical value. The result of the negotiation is key dependent;
       usually the lower or the higher of the two values is used.

    2.1 - Need to say that padding is not included in the
    length field.  Should also specify a MUST for the pad byte value.

    How about:

       iSCSI PDUs are padded to an integer number of 4 byte words. The
       value of the pad bytes must be 0.  The pad bytes are not
       included in the DataSegmentLength field.

    2.2.1 - Also say here that the length fields do not include
    the digests.  How about:

       Optional header and data digests protect the integrity and
       authenticity of header and data, respectively. The digests, if
       present, are located, respectively, after the header and PDU-specific
       data and include the padding bytes.  The lengths of the digests
       are not included in the header or data length fields.

    2.2.2.5 - TotalAHSLength - How about:

       Total length of all AHS header segments in 4 byte words including
       padding if any.  This length field does not include header
       digests.

    2.2.2.6 - Need to specify whether DataSegmentLength includes
    the data digest.  How about:

       This is the data segment payload length in bytes.  This length
       does not include either padding or data digests.

    2.2.3.1 - Need clearer description of drop bit:

          B7 - Drop Bit - if set to one, the implementation may ignore
          this AHS if it is not understood; if set to zero, the
          implementation must reject this PDU if this AHS type is
          not understood.

    2.8.3 - Need maximum size for a key name, and a harder maximum
      for the value; how about adding:

      Key names MUST NOT exceed 64 characters; key values MUST NOT
      exceed 255 characters.

      This would replace the sentence "No key SHOULD contain..."

    2.8.3 - I don't think that we need or want a lot of flexibility
    with regard to text value representation.  In particular, I think
    that it's up to each key definition whether to use character,
    decimal, or hexadecimal representations, and that each key
    definition must pick just one of these for everyone to use.
    There's just no reason for one implementation to be able to
    send a key in one format, and another implementation to be able
    to send the same key in another format; that will just make
    interoperability harder.

    We would like to see he statement about characters strings
    and binary numbers tightened up to read:

       Character strings are represented as plain UTF-8 text.
       Numeric values with maximum values less than 32 bits
       should be represented as decimal numbers, but may be
       represented in hex if documented for the particular key.
       All binary values greater than 32 bits must be represented
       in hexadecimal.  Hexadecimal numbers are case-insensitive;
       either upper or lower case must be accepted.  The use of
       either decimal or hexadecimal (but not both) is specified
       separately for each key.  As this format is then implied,
       no prefixes such as "0x" are necessary.

    2.8.3 - (not its string representation) - I think that the
    limit should be on the string representation, not on the
    converted value.

    2.8.3 - We need to have the discussion on whether text commands
    and responses are done all in software, and whether the size
    of a text response really matters.  We'll bring this up on the
    list separately.

    2.10 - Login command - Need to put an X in the first bit of the
    message header for the restart bit.

    2.18.2 - If you want a useful example of a SCSI event, here's
    one that could be added:

       One example using the SCSI Asynchronous Event would report
       that LUN data has changed if, for instance, a new LUN is
       added to the target.  Here is what the sense data would
       contain:

        senseData[0] = 0x71;        // Error code.
        senseData[2] = 0x06;        // Sense key: UNIT ATTENTION
        senseData[12]= 0x3F;        // ASC (REPORTED LUNS DATA HAS CHANGED)
        senseData[13]= 0x0E;        // ASCQ

       The DataSegmentLength in this example would be 14 (decimal).

    Appendices - It would be nice to use a different numbering
    scheme that starts over with each appendix; such as
    A.1, A.2, B.1, etc.  Is this a limitation of the word doc?

    B.01 - Need to specify bit reflection and byte ordering for the
    CRC-32C.  Should add an example message and the expected CRC
    for interoperability purposes.  I can put together a message
    if you like.

    B.03 - Should have an example for a target that doesn't support
    authentication and an initiator that insists on authentication.

    B.03 - This section should be broken into separate headings for
    SRP, CHAP, etc. to make them easier to find.

    B.03 - (p 108) A lot of fields are shown as numbers; this section
    should specify which numbers are in hex and which (if any) are
    in decimal.

    B.03 - SRP uses "U=" for the name key; CHAP uses "N=" for its
    name key.  They could be made the same for consistency, but it's
    not really a problem.

    E - Should explicitly define what "Who" means in the intro
    to appendix E.  (e.g. who == which role can send the key).
    Perhaps "role" would be a better word.

    E - The login and digest keys are missing from appendix E; I think
    it would be worth describing all of the keys here.

    E - Each key should describe the exact format of its value, and
    state whether it is a hex, decimal, UTF-8 string, etc.

    E.23 - DataPDULength - we need to clarify that if a session has
    negotiated a DataPDULength, that the initiator and target MUST NOT
    send data PDUs of less than this length, except for the last PDU (or
    only PDU) of a command.  This is what an implementation is likely
    to do anyway, and will make it practical to keep the iSCSI data CRC
    end-to-end, since the data CRC covers a PDU, and not a command's
    worth of data.

    --
    Mark A. Bakke
    Cisco Systems