    Re: Asynchronous Message: Session Termination

    Julian,

    The modified text on "Async Message" seems to have missed out several
    aspects of the discussion on this thread :

    1) It is useful to provide a parameter for the "target will drop this
    connection" and "target will drop all connections" to indicate the time,
    in seconds, after which the target would drop the connection[s].

    This allows :

    - the target to warn the initiator ahead of time about an upcoming
    disruption so that initiator can take action accordingly.

    - Allows elimination of the "target requests logout" option since the
    "will drop connection/all connections" flavor provides the initiator an
    upper time bound after which the connection[s] are going to be dropped.
    This allows the initiator to attempt to quiesce the connection[s] prior
    to the expiry of that time period. The "target requests logout" option
    should be removed, if its equivalent functionality or better can be
    provided by the "will drop connection/all connections" flavors.

    2) Suggest modification of the below wording :
    " If the initiator does not attempt to reconnect within the time
    specified by Parameter 3 or Parameter 3 is 0 the session is terminated -
    in which case no other responses should be expected from the target for
    outstanding commands on this session and the initiator should terminate
    them appropriately."

    to indicate that upon expiry of the LogoutLoginMaxTime (parameter 3),
    the target internally aborts all outstanding commands on that connection
    and the initiator should consider those I/Os implicitly aborted. No
    explicit Abort mechanisms are required from the initiator to the target
    upon expiry of LogoutLoginMaxTime to terminate these commands.

    3) The "target will drop all connections" flavor description should
    indicate that the target is performing a session logout. I like the
    parameter descriptions provided by Mark [Bakke] for this flavor, namely
    :

    - Parameter2 indicates the time, in seconds, after which the target will
    drop all connections.
    - Parameter3 indicates the additional time, in seconds, after the expiry
    of Parameter2, that the initiator must wait before attempting to
    re-establish a session.

    The LogoutLoginMaxTime in the current defn of "target will drop all
    connections" (Parameter 3) provides little value, since the target
    should be aborting all oustanding I/O as a part of that session logout
    and not wait until LogoutLoginMaxTime.

    4) Regarding :
    "Initiators can attempt to set/modify the values a target will use for
    Parameter2 and Parameter3. However - I am unclear if we should leave the
    initiator the degree of control implied by (innocuous looking) last
    statement."

    Since, LogoutLoginMaxTime & LogoutLoginMinTime are only applicable in
    the context of a target originated "connection drop" as indicated by the
    async events, these keys add little or no value in the login
    negotiation. In all cases, it is the time values provided by the target
    in the async events that are applicable and over-ride any login
    negotiated values for these keys. Hence, should these keys be removed
    from the login negotiation ?

    Regards,
    Santosh

    julian_satran@il.ibm.com wrote:

    > Mathhew, Mark, Matt & Santosh:
    >
    > Here is the new text for 2.17.1
    >
    > 1.1.1     iSCSI Event
    >
    >    The codes used for iSCSI Asynchronous Messages (Events) are:
    >
    >       0    No iSCSI Event
    >       1    Target is being reset.
    >       2    Target requests Logout - the Parameter1 field indicates on what
    >       CID.
    >       3    Target indicates it will drop the connection - the Parameter1
    >       field will indicate on what CID while the Parameter2 field indicates,
    >       in seconds, the minimum time to wait before attempting to reconnect
    >       and Parameter3 the maximum time to reconnect  after the initial wait
    >       (Parameter2). If the initiator does not attempt to reconnect within
    >       the time specified by Parameter 3 or Parameter 3 is 0 no other
    >       on this connection and the initiator should terminate them
    >       appropriately. A value of 0 for Parameter 2 indicates that reconnect
    >       can be attempted immediately.
    >       4    Target indicates it will drop all connections - the Parameter2
    >       field indicates, in seconds, the minimum time to wait before
    >       attempting to reconnect and Parameter3 the maximum time to reconnect
    >       after the initial wait (Parameter2). If the initiator does not
    >       attempt to reconnect within the time specified by Parameter 3 or
    >       Parameter 3 is 0 the session is terminated - in which case no other
    >       on this session and the initiator should terminate them
    >       appropriately.  A value of 0 for Parameter 2 indicates that reconnect
    >       can be attempted immediately.
    >
    >       Initiators can attempt to set/modify the values a target will use for
    >       Parameter2 and Parameter3
    >
    >       However - I am unclear if we should leave the initiator the degree of
    >       control implied by (innocuous looking) last statement.
    >
    >       Thanks for helping make this text better.
    >
    >       Julo
    begin:vcard
    n:Rao;Santosh
    tel;work:408-447-3751
    x-mozilla-html:FALSE
    org:Hewlett Packard, Cupertino.;SISL
    adr:;;19420, Homestead Road, M\S 43LN,	;Cupertino.;CA.;95014.;USA.
    version:2.1
    email;internet:santoshr@cup.hp.com
    title:Software Design Engineer
    x-mozilla-cpt:;21088