    Re: TCP Framing

    I must agree with Matt.  And in addition to what Matt said, about the 1 Gig
    Software,  we must remember that many Desktops and Laptops, will be able to
    operate with CAT 5 Cable at 100 Mb/s, and some will be happy with that,
    others using the same CAT 5 cable will be able to operate comfortably at
    300+ Mb/s (there will not be many that will be comfortable at 1000 Mb/s,
    but most will be very happy with 300 MB/S).  So what you will see across a
    business campus is software implementations running on Desktops and Laptops
    at an assortments of speeds, from 100 Mb/s, through 300+ Mb/s.  There of
    course will be Hardware HBAs in some Desktops, running on the same Networks
    (at Gigabit Speeds), but you should expect to see lots of SW
    implementations running at these lesser speeds.  To be really successful
    and fulfill the real promise of iSCSI, we want both the HW and the SW
    implementations to function well.

    With the 100 Mb/s to 300+ Mb/s many of these Desktops and Laptops will be
    getting better performance from the Network then from their local Hard
    Disk.  They will have more then enough CPU power to support 300+ Mb/s and
    not be noticed in the individual's system.

    As Matt was saying these different, systems will get multiplexed together
    into the target device, and it is important that the target device be able
    to support both HW and Software implementations with a minimum of cost, on
    the targets 10 Gigabit iSCSI Portals.  Though I like the Warp support, I
    think it is unlikely that the TCP/IP stacks of all the different Desktops
    and Laptops, etc. will be updated to support that,  in any acceptable time
    frame.

    I think we must depend on Markers to insure that everything can operate at
    top speed, and at the lowest cost.

    That is why I think that the Markers should be "Must Implement", but
    "Optional to use".

    .
    .
    .
    John L. Hufferd
    Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
    IBM/SSG San Jose Ca
    (408) 256-0403, Tie: 276-0403,  eFax: (408) 904-4688
    Internet address: hufferd@us.ibm.com

    "Matt Wakeley" <matt_wakeley@agilent.com>@ece.cmu.edu on 05/20/2001
    09:40:39 PM

    Please respond to Matt Wakeley <matt_wakeley@agilent.com>