    Re: ISCSI: Flags in header indicating that digest is present

    Venkat,

    Yes - the new format has a total length field that consumes too many bits
    to have some left for digests.

    Julo

    Venkat Rangan <venkat@rhapsodynetworks.com> on 19-05-2001 05:06:21

    Please respond to Venkat Rangan <venkat@rhapsodynetworks.com>

    To:   Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL, ips@ece.cmu.edu
    cc:
    Subject:  ISCSI: Flags in header indicating that digest is present

    Julian,

    At some point, we had bits in the BHS that indicated whether Header Digest
    and/or Data Digest is present. They now have disappeared, perhaps when we
    removed the WN-based PDUs for Draft-6. Now, how do we know from the PDU
    itself whether it is present or not? If not, is the intention that we
    maintain the current state of the digest negotiation and apply it to all
    PDUs?

    From Draft 5:
    ----------------
    2.2.1 What's Next (WN)

       This is an encoded field that indicates what the next segment is.

          bit 7  - 1  Next is another header segment.
             bit 6-4  Next header type code
                   0  Extended CDB
                   1  Bi-directional read-data transfer header
                   2  Long Data Header
                 3,4,5,6,7  Reserved
             bit 3-0  Reserved
          bit 7  - 0  Next is a data segment or no additional segment
          (empty data segment)
             bit 6 Header Digest Present (1) or Not (0)
             bit 5 Data Digest Present (1) or Not (0)
             bit 4-0  Reserved

    Thanks,

    Venkat Rangan
    Rhapsody Networks Inc.