    Re: iSCSI: multiple sessions b/n a pair of WWUIs.

    Santosh,

    Comments in line <JLH> ... </JLH>

    Jim Hafner

    Santosh Rao <santoshr@cup.hp.com>@cup.hp.com on 05-09-2001 08:54:54 AM

    Sent by:  santoshr@cup.hp.com

    To:   Jim Hafner/Almaden/IBM@IBMUS
    cc:   ips@ece.cmu.edu
    Subject:  Re: iSCSI: multiple sessions b/n a pair of WWUIs.

    Jim,

    I agree that the only requirement is uniqueness of ISID among all the
    sessions to a given target node. Maintaining uniqueness across all
    targets only extends compliance to this requirement a step further and
    does not violate it.

    <JLH> Correct, it does not violate it and that's all that matters.  Do this
    if you want, it's your implementation :-{) </JLH>

    All we are debating is David's suggestion that a note could be added to
    indicate that implementations may choose to apply this uniqueness across
    all target nodes so as to use the ISID as a target lookup mechanism.

    <JLH> I'm beginning to believe strongly that such a note is NOT a good
    thing as it implies a preferred implementation and (a) that's not the job
    of the spec and (b) we haven't hashed out all the possible issues to be
    sure we would be recommending a "best" implementation (and such hashing is
    NOT the job of this reflector). </JLH>

    If there is strong resistance against adding such a note, then, let us
    omit it. [as long as the spec does'nt preclude usage of ISID as unique
    across all targets].

    <JLH> As I said, I'm moving rapidly to "strong" against.   I think the spec
    (and any related document or note) currently does not say (and agreeably
    shouldn't say) that the ISIDs must be reused in any particular way.  That
    option would be simply falling on the other side of the implementation
    fence.  The spec might make a note that says that multiple sessions
    handlers within a given iSCSI Node sharing a common iSCSI Name should
    coordinate their use of ISIDs (carve the name space between them) to avoid
    rejected login by one session handler because it reused an ISID already in
    use by another session handler.  But that's about all it should say.</JLH>

    Regards,
    Santosh