    Re: iSCSI : login keys & mode page settings

    Black_David@emc.com wrote:

    > (1) Is changing an iSCSI key allowed to cause
    >         problems for other initiators?

    No.

    > (2) Does the iSCSI key mechanism have to behave
    >         identically to the corresponding mode
    >         page mechanism.

    No.

    Better still, the mode page mechanism can be dis-allowed [or strongly
    discouraged] by iSCSI, allowing only 1 mechanism for setting these
    options, which is through the use of login keys.

    Something to the effect of :
    "Initiators SHOULD [MUST ?] NOT use Mode Select to modify these contol
    options and any key negotiation SHOULD [MUST ?] be done through
    login/text keys"

    may help address these concerns.

    Thanks,
    Santosh

    > Given the need to support old systems that may
    > get (1) wrong (mode page sets can damage other
    > initiators), the best we may be able to do on it
    > is a SHOULD:
    > (1) SHOULD not share key values among sessions
    >         (i.e., setting of a key value in one session
    >         SHOULD NOT affect the setting in any other
    >         session.
    > On (2), how about
    > - When a key refers to a mode page entry, the
    >         underlying value MUST be shared between
    >         the mode page and the key in an iSCSI session
    >         (e.g., a value set by a text key MUST be
    >         retrieved by the mode page if the implementation
    >         accepted the value).
    > - Restrictions on value changes in full-feature
    >         mode SHOULD (MUST?) match when a value is
    >         shared between a text key and a mode page
    >         entry.
    >
    > Comments?
    >
    > --David

    > David L. Black, Senior Technologist
    > EMC Corporation, 42 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
    > +1 (508) 435-1000 x75140     FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500
    > black_david@emc.com       Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754

    begin:vcard
    n:Rao;Santosh
    tel;work:408-447-3751
    x-mozilla-html:FALSE
    org:Hewlett Packard, Cupertino.;SISL
    adr:;;19420, Homestead Road, M\S 43LN,	;Cupertino.;CA.;95014.;USA.
    version:2.1
    email;internet:santoshr@cup.hp.com
    title:Software Design Engineer
    x-mozilla-cpt:;21088