    RE: iSCSI Security rough consensus

    Ted,

    See below:

    <Some material deleted>

    > And of course, the vendors would employ their marketing people to make
    > sure that the full "iSCSI complaint" version would be included in the
    > product catalog, but to also always make available the option which
    > didn't include this 3rd party IPSEC gateway box.  Guess which version
    > of the product would actually see deployment in customer sites?
    >
    > For this reason, the IPS working group wanted to use a two levels of
    > protection; an "outer layer" that would be IPSEC, but which might not
    > necessarily be end-to-end (and in fact, in actual real life, probably
    > wouldn't be present at all), and then an inner layer which used
    > something like SRP.
    >
    > I don't know if something like this would have gotten past the IESG --
    > my guess is that if it did, it would be with the Security Area AD's
    > hollering and screaming a lot.

    I don't know the Security AD's, but if they had this reaction
    as you describe, my question to them would be why did they invent
    tunnel mode and security gateways in the first place?  If they
    wanted all protocols to have end-to-end protection as a REQUIREMENT,
    shouldn't they have just stopped with transport mode?  That way, it's
    end-to-end IPSec or else use something like TLS.

    > So it was given this particular set of constraints, where people
    > seemed determined to (a) not use (or at least not require) IPSEC in an
    > end-to-end mode, and (b) to use something like SRP, that I suggested
    > using the session keying material from SRP to key ESP as an
    > improvement.  If this meant that the IPSEC protection could actually
    > be end-to-end, and that it would more likely actually end up in
    > shipping hardware that customers actually used, as opposed to an
    > unwieldy, theoretical hack that was never meant for customer use but
    > only to get around the IETF standards process, then using SRP as the
    > source of keying information for ESP was a vast improvement from where
    > we started on Tuesday morning.

    The description of security gateways in RFC 2401 sure doesn't sound
    like an "unwieldy, theoretical hack".  In fact, the section 3.3 clearly
    says they are an option:

    3.3 Where IPsec May Be Implemented

       There are several ways in which IPsec may be implemented in a host or
       in conjunction with a router or firewall (to create a security
       gateway).  Several common examples are provided below:

    There are many other places where 2401 talks in great detail about
    security gateways and tunnel mode.

    > Would it be better if we were actually doing end-to-end IKE, and
    > asking the disk drive manufacturers to solve the public key management
    > problems that this would entail?  From a security perspective, sure.
    > But it's not too clear how realistic such a stance would really be.

    From an implementation perspective, the answer is yes.  I see it
    far more realistic for implementers to take an existing off-the-shelf
    IKE implementation and plug it into their disk drive, than to tweak
    their iSCSI and IPSec implementations to get SRP to key IPSec.
    The former can be done with few or no modifications, since IKE
    is most likely already integrated with IPSec.  Neither IPSec nor
    IKE need to be conscious of the application (i.e., iSCSI) that it
    is protecting.

    Regards,
    Josh