    RE: iSCSI: Require iSCSI to use packet formats similar to FC, etc??

    Marjorie,

    I presented a draft which represents an effort to translate iSCSI into a
    simple device transport layer.  You will notice there is no information
    related to the technology of the device. The command field could be suitable
    for any device or application well beyond the constraints of SCSI.  You will
    also notice that I have not expected the transport to understand the content
    of the device layer information.  I have included some queue management but
    have not defined how this management relates to the device.  iSCSI could be
    placed upon such a defined transport but you notice that iSCSI defines the
    device in addition to the transport layer.  These definitions of the device
    should be T10 efforts as a separate specification and perhaps that is where
    iSCSI should be defined once a suitable transport is selected.

    It should not be difficult to split the transport information from the
    device information.  I am concerned that things like ACA involvement
    requires the transport to know too much.  Mode page definitions is an
    example of that over-reach.  The symmetric stream use in this presented
    draft is compatible with the iSCSI connection allegiance.  If these
    connections represent separate paths for reliability to the same device,
    then being able to maintain coherency over multiple connections is important
    and presently, only SCTP provide that level of coherency.

    I have also attempted to make this generic device transport layer
    independent of the IP transport protocol selection.  You will notice that
    the resulting structures are relatively stark.  Add the record tracking of
    SCTP to ??P or use directly and the result is a robust transport.  The minor
    innovation is a vector placement mode for SCTP as well as integrity digests.
    I assume that SCTP will be using suitable error checking.  Those concerned
    about data, will likely include integrity and the jury is still out on what
    the basic native error checking will be.  If it is not CRC, then a CRC
    digest seems like a reasonable alternative.

    As a caveat, sequential devices should restrict the number of Associations
    to one.  This restriction is less important for random devices, but there
    should be some means to resolve the coherency problem of multiple
    associations for management result resolution.  A solution would prevent
    information arriving from a command that was considered aborted or prevent
    conflicted use of command channel.  A resolution to this problem seems to be
    related to the device interface.  One possible technique might be to have
    the device layer send some type of asynchronous signal on those affected
    requests over all active connections but this still seems to be a difficult
    and unresolved problem.  Keeping the Association to one is one method but
    not likely desired.

    My thought was to have a command channel on each connection dedicated to
    resolving management command coherency.  This dedicated channel would
    respond to all management commands.  All dedicated channels responding would
    be required to validate the management response.  These one to many
    management command responses could be done by or at the device layer.

    Doug