    iSCSI Requirements -03 comments

    One more set of comments from me.  I wrote these on
    a plane yesterday -- with luck I didn't miss anything
    crucial, but plead effects of altitude for oversights
    and mistakes herein.

    -- Conventions used in this document

    Add a sentence indicating that use
    of RFC 2119 terms in this informational document reflects requirements
    for the protocol specification rather than the usual use of RFC 2119
    terms to indicate requirements on implementations.

    -- Section 1 - Summary

    >From 2.2

    "improve on the state of the art for SCSI interconnects" - not clear what
    this
    	means for the protocol, Gbit Ethernet has performance limits by
    comparison
    	to the forthcoming 2 Gbit Fibre Channel.

    "cost competitive with alternative storage networking technologies" is also
    	hard to do in a protocol specification alone.

    --> For these two, and any other requirements over which we really don't
    have
    	complete control (in contrast to technical requirements), use lower
    case
    	"must", etc. to avoid invoking RFC-2119.

    >From 2.4

    Modify FIFO transport to allow error conditions to violate FIFO - if
    violations
    are possible, then MUST be able to configure enforcement of ordering in
    presence
    of error conditions.  Take text for this from previous discussion on list to
    resolve Santosh Rao's comment on this issue.

    >From 4.1

    I agree with Bob Snively's comment to delete extensibility to other data
    integrity
    digest formats.  In practice, this is going to require a revision to the
    basic protocol specification document and is not to be done lightly.  It'd
    be ok
    to require a protocol version number to help support this sort of future
    change.

    >From 5.2

    Leave SAM2 completeness text as is.  Features that T10 wants deleted are
    cases in
    which the "SHOULD" in "SHOULD make such a feature either RECOMMENDED or
    REQUIRED
    in implementations" is overruled (i.e., we have carefully weighed the
    implications
    and done something different).

    Delete "SHOULD track changes to SCSI and SAM"  Once the RFC is done, it's
    done -
    it can be subsequently revised.  Replace it with something about
    specification
    development - the IPS WG SHOULD track such changes to make sure that
    the RFC is based on the most current state of SCSI and SAM.

    >From 6.3

    "SHOULD NOT preclude ..." is backwards.  The requirement to pass muster with
    the IESG is "MUST specify and REQUIRE the implementation of ..."

    >From 7.1

    Make it clear that "(URL)" is an example.

    "existing naming authorities" - "authorities" is the wrong word,
    "approaches" is
    	one alternate possibility.

    "SHOULD deal with the complications of the new SCSI security architecture."
    -
    Rephrase/rewrite to avoid "deal with the complications".  I think this
    is about access controls, and hence might be phrased in terms of ensuring
    that support is provided for them.

    -- Section 2.1

       In the
       local area, TCP's adaptive retransmission timers provide for
       automatic and rapid error detection and recovery.

    Delete the words "adaptive" and "timers".

    In step (6) of deployment, change "SAN" to "storage".

       might also support all host protocols that use TCP (NFS, CIFS, HTTP,
    etc).

    Replace "all" with "other".

    (IPSWG) --> (IPS WG)

    -- Section 2.2

    See above comment on removing upper case from requirements not completely
    within our
    control.

        Conventional storage access is of a stop-and-wait

    Replace "of" with "often".

    Direct data placement - pick up Bob Snively's rewrite.

    -- Section 2.3

    Framing discussion needs to indicate that framing MUST be OPTIONAL to
    implement.
    Add a sentence indicating "SHOULD specify a default framing mechanism"
    (i.e.,
    specify the first framing mechanism that MUST be implemented *if* any
    mechanism
    is implemented).  This should be responsive to some of Doug Otis's concerns
    about framing mechanism consistency, but I absolutely, positively will not
    allow
    any document to REQUIRE a common framing mechanism between iSCSI and other
    protocols for procedural reasons discussed previously on the list.

    -- Section 2.4

    Delete the paragraph starting with "In the presence of connection binding,
    there are two ways to assign features to connections" and the paragraph
    starting with "An alternate approach that was discussed extensively ..."
    Recording of WG discussions and rationale for design decisions is better
    placed in protocol specification documents rather than requirements
    documents.

    -- Section 4.1

    Discussion of separate header and data digests is internally inconsistent.
    Fix this by changing the "MAY" and "MUST" to two "SHOULD"s (i.e., SHOULD
    specify separate header and data digests).

    Delete "SHOULD" sentence on extensibility to other digest methods.

    -- Section 4.2

    Add a phrase or sentence to the end of the first paragraph indicating that
    recovery is frequently infeasible for tape due to the absence of block
    addresses in the SCSI command set used for tape devices.  This'll help
    set up the non-idempotent recovery requirement.

    Change ""storage servers"" to "network ports".

    -- Section 5.2

    See above comments on leaving "comply with SAM" text as is and
    on tracking changes to SAM and SCSI.

    In discussing the requirement to support all command sets and
    device types, call out long CDB formats and bi-directional
    commands as examples.

    Delete the "There is considerable discussion on the mailing list
    archives" sentence at the end of the ACA paragraph because
    I believe AIX is known to use ACA.

    Pick up resolution of list discussion of command ordering in the face of
    errors.

    -- Section 6.1

    Add a MUST for dynamic security mechanism being secure against
    man-in-the-middle
    attacks that would cause weak or no security to be negotiated when that was
    not
    the outcome intended by the negotiating parties.

    -- Section 6.2 and 6.3

    See earlier comment on "MUST NOT preclude" - turns up in both sections.  Add
    connection hijacking as a specific case of source spoofing because it
    imposes
    additional requirements on the mechanism used for this.

    -- Section 6.4

    I'd prefer to call this "confidentiality" to avoid the fact that "privacy"
    has more than one meaning.

    -- Section 7.1

    Make it clear that URL (RFC 1783) format is RECOMMENDED, not REQUIRED.

    "path on which it is found" --> "path by which it is accessed".

    LU WWN - iSCSI MAY REQUIRE this to be implemented.

    Discussion of SCSI security is fine here, BUT delete the T10 document
    reference - we can't make a normative reference to that sort of thing.
    Provide a general description of what T10 is up to.  the first sentence
    of this paragraph should be used in Section 1 instead of the "deal with
    the complications" language that's currently there.

    -- Section 7.2

    Qualify the "provide some means of determining whether an iSCSI
    service is available through an IP address" requirement to either
    apply to an <IP address, TCP port> pair or apply to the <IP address>
    and the default iSCSI TCP port.  The underlying issue is that the
    straightforward thing to do is contact one TCP port and see if
    iSCSI responds - if it doesn't, one shouldn't be REQUIRED to
    do a port scan to find the
    unauthorized iSCSI server running at port 12835, and doing that
    scan will actually cause discovery and zoning problems in some
    configurations.

        SCSI protocol-dependent techniques SHOULD be used for further
        discovery beyond the iSCSI layer.

    Change this to:

        Standard SCSI discovery techniques (e.g., REPORT_LUNS), as specified
        in the appropriate SCSI standards. MUST be used ...

    On target discovery:
    	given an IP end point on its well-known port
    Generalize this to an IP endpoint and arbitrary TCP port (e.g., the default
    TCP port for iSCSI as allocated by IANA)