    Re: iSCSI: Require iSCSI to use packet formats similar to FC, etc??

    Marjorie-

    The word "similar" is pretty vague.  If it means that iSCSI should
    include the same types of information that the other transports
    provide, that's probably required just to get it working.  If it
    means that iSCSI messages have to look like Fibre Channel frames
    (I don't realy think that's what you mean), that would be a severe
    and inappropriate limitation.

    I would object to the use of the word "packet", since iSCSI is
    built on top of a stream, and does not have packets.

    As far as gateways are concerned, I don't see any reason to
    be overly restrictive on formats; they will have to be ripped
    apart and rebuilt between various SCSI transports anyway.  As
    long as the right information is available in any form, there
    should be no problem.  Having cobbled up a gateway myself, message
    formats are the least of our challenges.

    I think that the other requirements already specific (indirectly,
    perhaps) that the right kind of information has to be present, so
    I would not want to see this requirement added.

    --
    Mark

    --
    Mark A. Bakke