    Re: iSCSI: multiple sessions b/n a pair of WWUIs.

    N&D is work in progress. We will get in sync. soon.  Julo

    Santosh Rao <santoshr@cup.hp.com> on 26/04/2001 02:34:39

    Please respond to Santosh Rao <santoshr@cup.hp.com>

    To:   Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL, IPS Reflector <ips@ece.cmu.edu>
    cc:
    Subject:  iSCSI: multiple sessions b/n a pair of WWUIs.

    > To: ips@ece.cmu.edu
    > Subject: Re: iSCSI: session login and ISID
    > From: julian_satran@il.ibm.com
    > Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 14:21:49 +0300

    > WWUI can be presented during login phase (2.10.9 is correct and in-line
    with 1.2.7) Two > sesions can have the same ISID but will have different
    TSID. The question of whether
    > more than one session should be allowed between a pair of wuis is under
    debate.

    > Julo

    Julian,

    There seems to be some disconnect between your comments above and the
    name-disc draft. As per the name-disc draft Section 2(d) :

    "There can be only one iSCSI  session with a given ISID between an iSCSI
    Intiator Node and an iSCSI Target Node."

    The iSCSI [&name-disc] drafts should explicitly state that ISID is
    uniquely assigned for a given initiator. Similarly, the TSID is uniquely
    assigned for a given target.

    On the subject of multiple sessions for a given pair of WWUIs, this MUST
    be a requirement. iSCSI must allow multiple sessions for a given pair of
    WWUIs.

    This is required because single-connection session models would like to
    setup multiple sessions b/n initiator hosts and multi-ported targets and
    export the multiple paths to LUs to upper layer wedge drivers like EMC
    Powerpath, Veritas VxVm, etc.

    Inability to establish multiple sessions b/n a pair of WWUIs implies
    iSCSI layer will only export one path to the upper layer wedge drivers,
    thereby, breaking such applications.

    This also implies iSCSI would then take on all the responsibilities of
    providing load balancing and fail-over capabilities and would require
    the use of multi-connection sessions for that purpose.

    By allowing multiple sessions for a given WWUI pair, iSCSI layer could
    achieve equivalent functionality using single connection sessions and
    would also not break existing wedge drivers.

    Regards,
    Santosh
     - santoshr.vcf