    Re: iSCSI : target session login behaviour

    Stephen Bailey wrote:

    > > As a side note, the iSCSI draft Status Class/Codes could do with a misc
    > > error category along the lines of the FC "No additional Explantion"
    > > reason explantion. This would help deal with error conditions that don't
    > > come under the listed category.
    >
    > Personally, I think we should add categories for reasons we obviously
    > see now, AND have a no additional reason.
    >
    > One peculiarity with what you're talking about above is that it should
    > be a login response status code which expresses this rejection.  The
    > login response set does not seem to have an `invalid parameter'
    > response for cases when the request is somehow inconsistent.

    Steph,

    The iSCSI draft is unclear today about the exact mechanism through which
    the target indicates "invalid parameters" in response to a received
    command.

    1) Should it use a REJECT PDU or respond with the appropriate response
    for that PDU indicating a response code of "Invalid Parameters" and a
    "first bad byte" offset that indicates which parameter the target
    disliked.

    IMO, an "Invalid Parameters" response in the response codes is
    appropriate for SCSI Command and SCSI Task Mgmt commands. [coupled with
    a "first bad byte" offset.]

    This is missing today.

    2) Also, as discussed above, a general "No Addional Explanation" type of
    status code in the login response would cover the "misc" category.

    3) There are cases of ambiguity in the usage of REJECT or SCSI Response.
    Take the case of a "SNACK Reject". It is present in both the SCSI
    Response (SNACK Rejected) and REJECT PDU reason code (Data SNACK
    Reject). Which mechanism is to be used in this case ?

    4) There is no "Status SNACK Rejected" in the REJECT PDU.

    Regards,
    Santosh
    begin:vcard
    n:Rao;Santosh
    tel;work:408-447-3751
    x-mozilla-html:FALSE
    org:Hewlett Packard, Cupertino.;SISL
    adr:;;19420, Homestead Road, M\S 43LN,	;Cupertino.;CA.;95014.;USA.
    version:2.1
    email;internet:santoshr@cup.hp.com
    title:Software Design Engineer
    x-mozilla-cpt:;21088