    Re: iSCSI: multiple sessions b/n a pair of WWUIs.

    Jim,

    Thanks for the clarification. Both the iSCSI and the name-disc drafts
    need to explicitly state that ISID is uniquely assigned for all sessions
    within a given initiator. Similarly, TSID is uniquely assigned for all
    sessions within a given target.

    Regards,
    Santosh

    Jim Hafner wrote:

    > Santosh,
    >
    > There may be lack of synchronization between the two drafts (not unexpected
    > since they are being worked on in parallel).
    >
    > The requirement in name+disc that a given initiator name cannot reuse an
    > ISID for two different sessions comes as a consequence a number of things
    > (which are described in the draft).  The gist is that this is needed to
    > provide the correct context for restoration of reservations state (and
    > other nexus state) to a particular nexus after logout/login. In other
    > words, if the session goes down for some reason, the target needs clear
    > context to restore nexus state to a rebuilt session. The only tool it has
    > is uniqueness of Name+ISID combination within its name space.
    >
    > There was a similar requirement in draft...05.txt in 2.11.5 (though that
    > was ambiguous about whether ISIDs are unique within a target across all
    > initiator names or just with respect to a given initiator name).
    > Apparently that requirement is now gone from draft...06.txt!
    >
    > The requirement forces carving up ISID namespaces between iSCSI adapters
    > (session managers) in a given node.  They each get their name and a piece
    > of the ISID space from configuration information.  You mentioned this
    > yourself in a related reply in this thread to Hari.
    >
    > So, we get multiple sessions between nodes (named things), single sessions
    > between ports (one per ISID+TSID pair) and a framework for restoring
    > necessary nexus state (uniqueness of Name+ISID at the target -- no reuse of
    > ISID).   (I think Julo's comment is that he has had time to keep up with
    > the formalization done in N&DT within the last week.)
    >
    > I think/hope this has everything needed.
    >
    > [But I have to admit, this is sort of a hack to get the iSCSI constructs to
    > shoe-horn into the SAM constructs.  All of this would have been a lot
    > easier if we hadn't gone to multiple connections per session. iSCSI is the
    > first protocol to allow for such constructs.]
    >
    > Jim Hafner
    >
    > Santosh Rao <santoshr@cup.hp.com>@ece.cmu.edu on 04/25/2001 04:34:39 PM
    >
    > Sent by:  owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu
    >
    > To:   Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL, IPS Reflector <ips@ece.cmu.edu>
    > cc:
    > Subject:  iSCSI: multiple sessions b/n a pair of WWUIs.
    >
    > > To: ips@ece.cmu.edu
    > > Subject: Re: iSCSI: session login and ISID
    > > From: julian_satran@il.ibm.com
    > > Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 14:21:49 +0300
    >
    > > WWUI can be presented during login phase (2.10.9 is correct and in-line
    > with 1.2.7) Two > sesions can have the same ISID but will have different
    > TSID. The question of whether
    > > more than one session should be allowed between a pair of wuis is under
    > debate.
    >
    > > Julo
    >
    > Julian,
    >
    > There seems to be some disconnect between your comments above and the
    > name-disc draft. As per the name-disc draft Section 2(d) :

> [...]
    begin:vcard
    n:Rao;Santosh
    tel;work:408-447-3751
    x-mozilla-html:FALSE
    org:Hewlett Packard, Cupertino.;SISL
    adr:;;19420, Homestead Road, M\S 43LN,	;Cupertino.;CA.;95014.;USA.
    version:2.1
    email;internet:santoshr@cup.hp.com
    title:Software Design Engineer
    x-mozilla-cpt:;21088