    From: Santosh Rao [mailto:santoshr@cup.hp.com]
    Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2001 4:18 PM
    To: Mudaliar, Hari
    Cc: IPS Reflector
    Subject: Re: iSCSI : target session login behaviour

    "Mudaliar, Hari" wrote:

    >         I am assuming that you are referring to the creation of a new
    > session with TSID=0 in your example below. Take the case of an initiator
    I1
    > who has established a session with a target with an ISID=ISID1. What if a
    > second initator I2 tries to login to the same target with ISID1? The
    target
    > cannot decide to logout the first initiator (who already has a session
    > established with ISID1) as suggested by you.

    Hari,

    You may want to take a second look at my mail. It specifically refers to
    the problem in the context of a given (Initiator Name, ISID). Your
    example above does not fall under that category. A 2nd initiator using
    the same ISID would have a different Initiator Name. (a.k.a initiator
    WWUI).

    The problem raised is in the context of an existing session for a given
    (Initiator Name, ISID). How does a target deal with a second session
    login received for the same (Initiator Name, ISID) with a NULL TSID ?

    >         Also, depending on implementation, the target may realize that the
    > TCP connections for a session were lost (using Keep-Alives or iSCSI NOPs
    > etc.) when the initiator rebooted thus terminating the session. By the
    time
    > a new login from the same initiator is received, the old session info may
    > have been cleared.

    Then again, it may not. There's 2 aspects to this issue :
    1) Successful session re-logins from the rebooted host.
    2) Garbage collection and cleanup of the old session resources.

    (1) is a more serious issue, since the target MUST NOT reject the login
    based on a pre-existing active session for a given (Initiator Name,
    ISID).

    (2) is handled through garbage collection algorithms, but implementation
    of the proposal would help accelerate the release of stale session
    resources.

    - Santosh