    RE: iSCSI reqmts and Ethernet adapters

    iSCSI will not compete with other SCSI transport speeds unless

    - significant portions are implemented in hardware

    AND
    -there is some method of regaining framing in the TCP byte stream to enable
    direct iSCSI data placement.

    I believe this is sufficiently stated in the iSCSI requirements doc.

    Although it is admittedly hard to extract from Doug's long emails, he does
    bring up one painful point - even though there are several factual errors
    sprinkled throughout that last email.

    The point I chose to extract is that given the first two facts, it is
    extremely important to have coordination and attention between the two
    efforts (iSCSI definition and framing solution definition).

    Doug states:
    > Presently you wish to see this done in a haphazard manner without any
    > coordination by the IETF.  This attitude does not reflect the
    > magnitude of this endeavor.

    I sympathize with Doug's frustration.  It's a chicken and egg problem that
    may cripple iSCSI implementations.  On the one hand, iSCSI definition must
    proceed today in order to deliver the specification in a reasonable
    timeframe, and a framing solution must proceed in parallel.  On the other
    hand, without proper architecture of current iSCSI for a framing solution,
    iSCSI may have to be reinvented to perform at 10Gig speeds.  This keeps me
    up at night :-)

    Another valid point Doug made is that iSCSI, FCIP, and iFCP all have the
    same framing needs and should all use the framing solution.  That
    recommendation certainly seems sane and within the scope of this WG to
    oversee.  Last time I paid attention, FCIP and iFCP were trying to reinvent
    this wheel.

    Marjorie Krueger
    Networked Storage Architecture
    Networked Storage Solutions Org.