    Re: iSCSI: handling of persistent reserves during initiator reboot

    Sandeep,

    Suppose an initiator has a persistent reservation for a logical unit on
    some target device.  This initiator has two choices:
    a) a requirement, as you suggest, to remember some initiator state (the
    ISID it used for the particular target device and the reservation key that
    it was using, the latter in any case) OR
    b) it doesn't recover the reservation "for free" but must use a heavier
    hammer (like prempt and abort) to recover the reservation

    As in another part of my note, a host rebooting is only one scenario where
    this reservation auto-recovery should occur (as seen from the SCSI layers).
    For all the other cases, the host doesn't loose any state (it never went
    down) so things are OK.

    For a host rebooting, a lot has to do with why it shutdown in the first
    place and whether it expects to get back its reservations with minimal
    effort.   One can argue that in the case of reboot, the host will start
    from scratch for everything and use the bigger hammer.  Or one can argue
    that if it really cared, it can preserve this state information.  I don't
    think this is a major requirement either way.

    As for iSCSI-FC bridges, I'm not thought about the requirements.  A very
    large lot depends on the model that that bridge implements:
    a) how much does the bridge attempt to be a "front" for an FC device and
    tunnel initiator state through it
    b) how much does the bridge act as an independent iSCSI target and just
    aglomerate all (some of) the logical units on the FC network behind it.

    For case (b), the bridge is an iSCSI target device and therefore needs to
    support all target requirements.
    When I look at case (a), I seem to always come to the conclusion that such
    bridges cannot be very stateless and that this extra burden is relatively
    minimal.  For example, the bridge will need to something non-trivial to
    restore initiator state through itself when (a) changes occur on the FC
    side, (b) the target resets completely, (c) the IP side resets (sessions
    crash and burn for IP or link layer errors).  Adding an ISID to the "saved"
    state along with the iSCSI Initiators Name doesn't sound like a whole lot
    of extra stuff.

    Jim Hafner

    Sandeep Joshi <sandeepj@research.bell-labs.com>@research.bell-labs.com on
    04-24-2001 09:51:15 AM