    RE: iSCSI:flow control, acknowledgement, and a deterministic recovery

    Summarizing the state of this dicussion:

    (1) The idea for use of regular CmdSN numbering and
    an "immediate" flag for immediate commands instead of
    a zero CmdSN appears to have received a positive reception,
    although the details of how CmdSN is used for immediate
    commands are still open (use number in sequence vs.
    duplicate what would be the next number).  Since
    immediate commands are currently exempt from the
    requirement to deliver from iSCSI to SCSI in order,
    the default way to do this would be to exempt them
    from the "MUST deliver in order" text that Doug
    repeatedly quotes.

    (2) It looks like some words are in order to advise
    implementers to watch out for TASK_SET_FULL interactions
    with CmdSN-based windowing possibly including restrictions
    on issuing TASK_SET_FULL when the CmdSN window is still
    open.  While the TASK_SET_FULL usage I described isn't
    always present or used, there are Initiators and Targets
    that behave in that fashion and hence we need some words
    to advise those who plan to carry that mechanism forward
    in order to avoid surprises when SCSI code (or code above
    it) receives a TASK_SET_FULL.

    Now the open issue:

    (3) My understanding of the outstanding issue is the
    rejection mechanism whereby arrival of an immediate
    command with a CmdSN higher than the CmdSN of the last
    command delivered to SCSI would then cause rejection
    (return to sender) of all undelivered commands with
    lower CmdSNs.  I think Doug is asking that support for
    this mechanism be available but not be required.

    The overall goal for this is apparently:

    > My concern is regarding the affect [on] existing
    > interfaces where there is not this potential for
    > a large queue of commands that can not be purged
    > except through action at the target at a much
    > later point in time.

    > I am asking for predictable behavior in the event
    > of the sequencer being bypassed.

    First of all, we need realistic motivating scenarios for
    this.  The Rewind scenario isn't realistic, as Doug has
    agreed that it's an application bug.  Beyond this, the
    statement that existing interfaces cannot build up a large
    queue of unpurgeable commands is false - if the application
    issues a bunch of writes just after the Rewind, the same
    situation results, and again the application is buggy.

    The original motivating scenarios involved task management
    commands, but I thought the following comment from Bob
    Snively closed out those scenarios:

      At present, SCSI applications do not have a clear
      guarantee of the order between task management functions
      and the processing or delivery of any particular task.
      In fact, the concept of an ORDERED attribute applied
      to a task management function is unknown.  As a result,
      SCSI drivers have to be aware of the implications.

    I'm assuming that Bob's comment applies to tape as well
    as disk (tape experts, please correct this if it's wrong).

    Absent a plausible description of what's broken, it's
    hard to justify designing a fix.  There are already
    situations in which SCSI behavior is unpredictable,
    so a general appeal to the goodness of predictability
    does not suffice - it needs to be accompanied by one
    or more realistic scenarios in which such a fix would
    make a visible difference.

    +1 (508) 435-1000 x75140     FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500