    Re: Calling for Tape & Backup Application Experts

    Somesh,

    > If you are out there on the list and can help with creating a model
    > of the backup app, that will help resolve some of the issues.

    I expect I'm considered to be a biased observer, but the only backup
    app that I've ever used that worked decently is amanda.

    It's relatively configurable, but the typical configuration (the only
    one I've seen used, at several, independent sites) is:

      1) backup (e.g. dump) streams from client to holding disk on backup server
      2) server streams data from holding disk to tape (prevents underruns)
      3) if tape error occurs, notify operator and retain backup data on
         the holding disk
         if backup disk is full, stop backing up clients to holding disk

    It also does all sorts of complicated stuff to chose among backup
    levels, but that's not really germane here, except that it will allow
    you to back up a massive storage foot print with a relatively small
    number of tape drives and relatively small holding disk.

    The upshot of this is that amanda uses programs like tar, dump and
    cpio as primitives in which errors are expected to occur occasionally,
    and recovery is required.  It is a mistake to rely solely upon simple
    backup programs that have no operator intervention loop in them.

    In my experience (I was an operator at one such site), a very common
    reason why the backups failed was because high-density cartridge tape
    drives require cleaning after a relatively small number of hours, and
    (at least) Exabyte drives would not permit a tape to be used when a
    cleaning was due.  It did give some advanced warning, like flashing
    lights, but you know how easy it is to miss a flashing LED in a
    machine room (they flash when the tape is operating too!), and with
    the small interval between cleanings (when the tape drive is running
    near 100% duty cycle), it seemed like it was ALWAYS in need of
    cleaning.

    I haven't used a Windows backup apps, but I can't help thinking the
    Amanda approach is not novel for a serious backup app (as opposed to
    NT backup or other `consumer grade' apps).

    While we're gathering requirements, backup is only one of the two
    major applications of tape.  The other is streaming data logging, also
    known as the `telemetry problem'.  In this case, data is running to
    the tape almost continuously, and an operation failure may not be a
    matter of trying again tomorrow.  Then again, it might.  There's
    usually a large direct access device (e.g. RAID box) used as a buffer
    to the tape, but I'm not sure if it's sized to allow for operator
    recovery or what.  I don't see how any other solution would be
    possible.

    Steph