    RE: iSCSI: Out Of Sequence due to null sequence with multiple connections.

    Sandeep,

    My comment was concerned over what could be happening at the sequencer and I
    view that as different from the target.  I view the sequencer as an aspect
    of iSCSI separate from the SCSI target.  At the iSCSI sequencer, you would
    have a few comparisons being made to see if a CmdSN can be issued to the
    target which will be looking for the next PDU in the sequence.  For this
    mechanism to work, I would recommend that all PDUs include a serial number.
    In the case of a non-sequentially treated PDU, the code would look something
    like this using unsigned integers.

    if ( (pending CmdSN -  ns reference CmdSN ) > 2^(SERIAL_BITS - 1))
    	{
    	reject_pdu(CmdSN, SEQUENCER_INVALIDATION);
    	}

    An ability force the sequencer up to this non-sequential PDU while rejecting
    any pending or stuck PDUs seems like a reasonable solution.  As the
    sequencer must already make this comparison, no additional work is being
    done.  No understanding of the PDU content is required also.

    You can not simply drop the connection and expect to retain the sequential
    nature of the interface, not introduce errors reflected within the SCSI
    layer, or introduce uncertainty of completion status.  The ability to keep
    the connection running has benefits in this area.  I would expect there to
    be some disagreement, but keeping the retry methods simple would also have
    benefits.  Control over PDUs pending within the sequencer introduced as a
    result of multiple connections should have a means of controlling these
    potential situations.  One reaction would be to eliminate multiple
    connections and get rid of this clumsy sequencer.

    The same considerations is happening with handling digest errors.  Handling
    errors is hard, introducing additional state uncertainty as a means of
    handling an error only seems to make a difficult situation worse.

    Doug