    iSCSI implementation

    Mike:

    A group at the InterOperability Lab at the University of New Hampshire
    under Prof. Robert D. Russell has been looking at the performance and
    implementation aspects of iSCSI as compared to Fibre Channel and other
    SAN technologies. We have developed among other things an iSCSI
    Initiator (again to draft-3 specs) - this interfaces to the SCSI
    Mid-Level in the Linux kernel. For the Target side, we have developed a
    generic SCSI Target Mid-Level, along with a bunch of front-ends (for
    Fibre Channel, Adaptec's SEP and iSCSI). Actually we have been looking
    for a good open source initiator implementation for iSCSI.

    The SEP implementation (both initiator and target) is decently stable,
    the iSCSI/Fibre Channel implementations are being worked on. I am in the
    process of putting them up on the web.

    All code is being released under the GPL license v2. Code is
    experimental, buggy and not everything has been implemented. Code has
    been tested on Intel machines only at this point. We are planning to
    upgrade the code directly to v06 of the draft when it comes out. We did
    not upgrade to version 05 because of frame format issues (WN).

    The link for the code is:
    http://www.iol.unh.edu/consortiums/fc/fc_linux.html

    I have put up a copy of my thesis. It contains an overly detailed
    documentation of the Target side code. However, it was the shortest path
    to getting the information out there.

    I do not subscribe to the iSCSI mailing list, so please respond directly
    to me if you have any questions/thoughts/ideas on how to go ahead with
    development work

    Thanks
    --
    Ashish A. Palekar