    Re: frame formats

    Mark,

    You might be getting a better protection but the implementation is more
    complex .
    BTW you would have had the same level of protection with less complexity
    with Format 1.

    Julo

    Mark Bakke <mbakke@cisco.com> on 02/04/2001 15:42:40

    Please respond to Mark Bakke <mbakke@cisco.com>

    To:   "Robert D. Russell" <rdr@mars.iol.unh.edu>
    cc:   Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL, ips@ece.cmu.edu
    Subject:  Re: frame formats

    Bob-

    Good point about option 2.  If we have separate BHS and AHS CRCs,
    all of lengths are checked.  I don't mind having the extra CRC, since
    I really don't think we will see that many PDUs use the AHS.

    It is possible to optimize reading option 1 (at least in software).
    Just read the 48 bytes + 4 for the digest, and if there is an AHS,
    keep the extra four as part of the next read.  So you still have
    a single read for most frames, and two for those with AHS.

    Still, option 2 does offer the best protection.  I'm fine with
    option 2, but could live with option 1.  Anything but 3.

    --
    Mark

    --
    Mark A. Bakke