    Re: Frame Formats

    Thanks Glen - the online copy is at:

    http://www.haifa.il.ibm.com/satran/ips

    Julo

    Glen Turner <glen.turner@aarnet.edu.au> on 30/03/2001 06:35:14

    Please respond to Glen Turner <glen.turner@aarnet.edu.au>

    To:   Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL
    cc:
    Subject:  Re: Frame Formats

    julian_satran@il.ibm.com wrote:

    > I have no idea. I guess that they think random is easy. Julo

    Hi Julo,

    Ignore the "security people".  I've worked on three crypto
    products and good crypto people know that random numbers
    are hard.

    Furthermore, poor pseudo-random numbers by definition leak
    machiine state.  This gives you something to hang your
    hat on when seeking to defeat the crypto.

    Zero-fill any unused bytes.  Don't leak further machine
    state by leaving them at pre-existing values.

    If a cryptographer needs a more random stream then they'll
    insert their own random header (as this is under the crypto
    device's control whereas a user-inserted header isn't) and
    compress the user data.

    Regards,
    Glen

    PS: Where is the online copy of the frame formats presented
    at the meeting?

    --
     Glen Turner                                 Network Engineer
     (08) 8303 3936      Australian Academic and Research Network