    RE: Frame Formats

    Julian,

    My major objection to Format 1 is that, as I interpret it, to determine the
    total length of the PDU requires a more processing. In format 2, I only have
    to interpret the first word (of course after verifying the digest). This
    allows hardware to quickly scan for data PDUs to do data placement when in
    an out of order condition. In format 1, the first word sometimes has the
    data length and I have to interpret the DL bits and conditionally look in a
    couple of locations to gather up the lengths to do the processing.

    Mike