    iSCSI: synch and steering comments

    Julian,

    Following are the comments I have on Synch and Steering in rev05.

    -Suggest replacing "it" in the following sentence in section 1.2.8.2, page 23
     (first sentence in a new para):

     "According to our model of layering, iSCSI considers the information
        it delivers (headers and payloads) as a contiguous stream of bytes
        mapped to the positive integers from 0 to infinity."

     with "that a Synch and Steering layer" to make it clear.  The sentence
     is ambiguous about the direction of delivery with the way it is.

    -Suggest adding the following statement to section 1.2.8.2.

     All conventional, in-order data arrival notifications generated by TCP
     are passed through to iSCSI by the Synch and Steering layer after
     appropriate data placements while none of the out-of-order data placements
     that it performs are communicated to upper layers.

    -Section 1.2.8.2 states that a Synch and Steering layer is optional.
     It has to be qualifed that it is optional only for those iSCSI devices
     which perform connection recovery on header digest errors, since that's
     how they cope with loss of framing. (I guess this may change in next rev?)

    -It appears to me that at least one Synch and Steering layer must be
     defined/referred to as the minimal implementation in the main draft to
     enable interoperability, when implementations do implement Synch and Steering.

    -I am somewhat confused about the following statement in section 1.2.8.2:
        "The Synch and Steering Layer is required to add to every sent data
        item (IP packet, TCP packet or some other superstructure) enough
        information to enable the receiver to steer it to a memory location
        independent of any other piece. "

     Clearly from the way I understood the markers in Appendix.C, it doesn't
     comply with this requirement.  A more generic statement would be:
        "The Synch and Steering Layer is required to add adequate
        information to the data stream to enable the receiver to quickly
        steer the stream to its final memory location, even in the face of
        discontiguities in the stream. "
    --
    Mallikarjun

    Mallikarjun Chadalapaka