    RE: iSCSI: Out Of Sequence due to null sequence with multipleconnections.

    Let me apologize for unintentionally stepping on Doug
    in the meeting.  Due to the time squeeze, I neglected
    to ask for other issues at the end of the iSCSI discussion
    - sorry about that.

    I'm going to back off and try to take a high level view of
    this and see what sort of observations emerge.  When a SCSI
    task management command pops out of an iSCSI TCP connection
    at the target, there are four places that the SCSI operations
    it affects could be:

    (1) Executing in SCSI.
    (2) Queued to SCSI for execution, but not executing.
    (3) Queued in iSCSI waiting for command sequencing.
    (4) In-flight.

    (2) includes the "resource limitations between the
    sequencer and the target that may lead to a stall or
    a long term delay".

    (1) and (2) are the easy cases - the SCSI implementation
    must apply the task management command to executing tasks,
    and should perform the obvious "peephole optimization" to
    the commands queued for execution (i.e., if they're to be
    aborted, abort them and send the response(s) without starting
    execution).  In essence, this models a command as crossing
    the boundary from iSCSI to SCSI the moment that iSCSI is
    prepared to give it to SCSI (i.e., any queue and related
    resource limitations are on SCSI's side of the line).

    (4) is hard.  One SCSI task management command generates one
    response.  That response can either be generated immediately
    (command arrives, is passed to SCSI, SCSI does its thing) or
    at the right point in the sequence (command arrives, is
    sequenced by iSCSI, passed to SCSI at the right point in the
    sequence, and SCSI does its thing), but NOT both.  As things
    currently stand, having a task management command apply to
    in-flight commands requires sending the task management
    command for ordered delivery - so if it's desired to have
    the task management command take immediate effect and also
    catch everything in flight, it's going to have to be sent
    twice.  I'm not enthusiastic about the idea of the task
    management command taking immediate effect but delaying the
    response until everything in flight that might be affected
    arrives, as I suspect the Initiator would like to know what
    happened sooner rather than later.

    (3) is "interesting".  The results of applying a SCSI task
    management command to a SCSI operation are known only to
    SCSI, and hence asking that a command stuck in the iSCSI
    sequencer be affected immediately by a task management
    command is asking that the task management command have
    the side effect of changing some of the commands it affects
    to immediate delivery so that it can immediately do its
    (SCSI) thing to them.  I wouldn't want to mandate this,
    nor would I want to prohibit it, BUT ... if the above
    discussion of in-flight commands is correct, I would
    observe that the application on the Initiator side
    can't tell the difference between commands that are in-flight
    vs. waiting for something in-flight on another connection,
    and hence is going to have to issue the task management
    command for ordered delivery if it wants to affect operations
    in either place (and issue a second copy if it wants
    immediate action).

    The upshot is that, aside from a longer discussion of this
    issue, I'm not sure anything needs to be changed.  Comments?

    +1 (508) 435-1000 x75140     FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500