    Re: inexistent LUN

    Chuk,

    You are right. I will remove this leftover.

    Julo

    Chuck Micalizzi <chuck.micalizzi@qlogic.com> on 13/03/2001 19:12:59

    Please respond to Chuck Micalizzi <chuck.micalizzi@qlogic.com>

    To:   Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL
    cc:   ips@ece.cmu.edu
    Subject:  inexistent LUN

    Julian,

          Regarding version 5 of the iSCSI draft:

          On page 71, in Section 2.20 it states:

                It may happen that a target receives a message with a
                format error (e.g., inconsistent fields, reserved fields
                not 0, inexistent LUN etc.) or a digest error (e.g.,
                invalid payload or header)...

          I'm concerned about the iSCSI layer having the responsibility of
          validating the LUN. In my opinion this is the responsibility of the
          SCSI layer. The target iSCSI layer should ignore the LUN field
          and let the SCSI layer validate the LUN. In SCSI, a command
          directed to a non-existent or missing LUN is not always an error.
          The SCSI Command Inquiry and Request Sense won't return
          "check condition" status if addressed to a non-existent LUN.

    chuck micalizzi