    RE: Security Use Requirements

    >The reason we went after TLS is that it can be used for session
    >authentication with stronger schemes than
    >and it is very popular for software implementations.

    SSL/TLS has many nice features, including better API support in
    most cases, more flexible certificate policies, and lightweight
    ciphers (e.g. RC4) This often makes it an attractive choice
    for applications requiring ~ 100 Mbps throughput (e.g. your
    average web server).

    >As for the cost of the hardware - the figures you quote are for 100Mbs (and
    >even there the NIC numbers are higher). The low-end iSCSI adapters will
    >cost well under $100 (at 1GBbs).

    Really? Mind if I order a few thousand to use as ordinary Gigabit
    Ethernet NICs? Our server farms need an inexpensive upgrade for
    the 100 Mbps adapters ;)

    >I don't envision all the options becoming necessary for hardware
    >implementations.  The pieces we wanted from TLS can be implemented in
    >software.

    Well, if you only have a few sessions per card, you can do
    session establishment in software. However, even though RC4
    is very light weight, it is very hard to get close to 1 Gbps
    throughput on it, even with a 1 Ghz processor. So you will
    be likely to bottleneck at relatively low interface
    utilization unless you have more than one CPU to throw at it.

    >If we where forced to select one I would too go for
    >IPsec (and that is what we have in the current draft)
    > but then we have to specify session authentication
    > on our own and keep updating it as new schemes enter
    >the world.

    Not sure why this would be necessary. Doesn't IKE (either
    with Certs or shared secrets) give you the necessary
    authentication/integrity protection?