    RE: Security Use Requirements

    Scott, et.al.,
    Julian's first option below, was perhaps the same as my first option.  That
    is, it could be acceptable to have a gateway box included in the must
    implement.  I believe, with nothing to back it, that there are "driver to
    Gateway" responses that an implementation can use and therefore be
    validated that the implementation adheres to the must implement statement.

    Does this sound right you Scott?

    For reference here is my previous statement:

    Now, I am beginning to think that it is reasonable for one of the following
    approaches to be OK. That is, one of those approaches should meet the
    requirement for "Must Implement".
    1. Only implementing an interface to the external IPSec/TLS box
    2, SW implementation of IPSec/TLS
    3. HW IPSec/TLS

    .
    .
    .
    John L. Hufferd
    Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
    IBM/SSG San Jose Ca
    (408) 256-0403, Tie: 276-0403,  eFax: (408) 904-4688
    Internet address: hufferd@us.ibm.com

    Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL@ece.cmu.edu on 02/07/2001 07:06:45 AM

    Sent by:  owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu