    RE: iSCSI : Abort Task "connection allegiance"

    >Santosh,
    >The advantage of multiple connections or multiple homing is removed if
    >connection allegiance is mandated.

    Doug,

    Section 1.2.5 already mandates connection allegiance for all PDUs of a
    command.
    ("For SCSI commands that require data and/or parameter
    transfer, the (optional) data and the status for a command must be
    sent over the same TCP connection that was used to deliver the SCSI
    command (we call this "connection allegiance").")

    I believe the dis-advantages of sending different PDUs of a command over
    different connections has already been discussed and discarded due to the
    various state sharing issues as well as out-of-order issues it causes.

    So, is the concern expressed about the existing MUST in the above statement
    in the draft ? Or are the comments directed towards the proposal to extend
    connection allegiance to the Abort Task as well ?

    >The ability to recover from a seemingly failed connection may include a
    >request to restart using a different connection.  Such request will likely
    >be sent over a different connection if there is a desire to migrate.
    >Connection allegiance was to allow distributed state information to remain
    >isolated.  This isolation is problematic and not mandating allegiance
    >ensures there will always be a means to communicate intermediate states
    >between connections.

    While the "retry" command processing at the target may involve co-operation
    across multiple NIC instances to fetch the data/status, this should be ok
    since it is the exception path. We should not attempt to optimize this path
    and affect the mainline paths. The mainline I/O paths require connection
    allegiance for a number of reasons that have been previously discussed on
    the reflector.

    >Connection allegiance should only be preferred.

    The lack of connection allegiance for all PDus of a command can cause
    out-of-order problems, with status PDUs arriving at the initiator ahead of
    the data PDUs.It also requires sharing I/O state information across NICs for
    the mainline paths, as compared to the current model where this is only
    required in exception paths.

    Regards,
    Santosh