    From: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu [mailto:owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu]On Behalf Of
    Black_David@emc.com
    Sent: Monday, February 05, 2001 12:54 PM
    To: ips@ece.cmu.edu
    Subject: Security Use Requirements

    In Orlando, I picked up an action item to determine what
    the requirements are for *use* of security features,
    as opposed to requirements for *implementation*.  I
    believe the answer to be that it is acceptable to
    specify security measures weaker than those one would
    want to use in full generality on a public network,
    where "weaker" includes no security.

    There are two important caveats that apply:
    - Security of the negotiation mechanism becomes
    	very important when this is done, as there's
    	an obvious man-in-the-middle attack on the
    	negotiation mechanism to get the endpoints
    	to negotiate weaker security than they intended.
    - The weaker security mechanisms need to be documented
    	in terms of their security properties (and lack
    	thereof), as well as environments in which they
    	are appropriate.  The "Security Considerations"
    	section of RFC 2338 (VRRP) has been recommended
    	as a good example of this.

    +1 (508) 435-1000 x75140     FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500