    RE: iSCSI error recovery

    David,

    Although further refinement of how the initiator is expected to use or not
    use StatSN will not modify complexity involved in recovering from a digest
    error after some undefined timeout of expected status.  The initiator is to
    guess a sequence hole belongs to some pending SCSI tag?  It is to decide if
    it should apply a CmdSN based on this lack of status for a retry?  Is this
    complexity is to allow non-sequential processing of commands irrespective of
    delivery failures?  As you can see, I remain skeptical.

    With respect to CRC or Checksums, you could also include a finer subdivision
    than just header and data.  To be more explicit about potential options,
    there could be static and dynamic fields where to assist handshakes being
    debated, a separate checksum for these handshakes would have advantages.
    You could then add routing information as yet another field if this
    information is to be modified by middle tier equipment.  And finally, the
    tag, CDB and related data and associated vectors.  So from my perspective
    here is a breakdown:

    1) Dynamic fields regarding handshakes. (Hopefully obsoleting retry scheme.)
    2) Routing fields (LUN).
    3) Static fields (All else).
    4) SCSI Cmnd (attributes), CDB, Data.

    Where would you wish to see a separation between 1:2, 2:3, or 3:4 or a
    single Checksum?

    Doug