    RE: iSCSI: CmdSN and Retry

    Doug,

    I think you have misunderstood what I said about error recovery in different
    layers.   I specifically have stated that we should separate the three
    layers: 1) Transport layer provides in order delivery on Internet, 2) iSCSI
    keeps the in order among multiple connections, and 3) SCSI has its own in
    order command semantics.  Frame retransmit and congestion control belong to
    the transport.  Digest error retransmit belongs to iSCSI layer.  Finally,
    SCSI itself has done command level recovery very well for the last 20 years.
    We should mix iSCSI and SCSI retries.  I want to be able to pipe 100,000
    frames down the wire without letting retry and ACKs getting into the way.
    In my previous writings, I have stated that for TCP to support 10Gb/100Ms
    network with a huge reassembly buffer, message framing and TCP/RDMA must be
    used.  Whether the maximum TCP bandwidth supports such a high IO rate is
    beyond the Charters of this WG.  I have no problem in using SCTP, if this is
    what it would take for the 10Gb/100Ms network.

    Y.P.