    RE: FCIP/iFCP : Guarantee In-Order delivery for FC N/NL_ports

    David,

    The FC frame is placed on FC network within a short time of its arrival or
    there is no advantage in allowing out of sequence processing.  With that in
    mind, multiple connections can be synchronized with a slight delay by
    looking at a single time-stamp field and stale frames dropped if their
    arrival is deemed too late by means of a TOV.  In each case, a time-stamp
    offers a simple solution to this problem of potential out of sequence
    placement.  With a small window looking across multiple connections, frames
    can be placed in order.  If a frame arrives with a relative time-stamp in
    excess of this time window, bye-bye frame.  At least the fabric assumptions
    remain with respect delinquent frames.  The size of the "small" window may
    increase in time to allow for 2RTT+ but it would be a sizeable increase in
    system latency and require about 1 Mbyte of buffer for a MAN.  One wonders
    if such buffering is desired for FC or if one could live with the results of
    occasional out of sequence frames where a R_A_TOV limit is used to dismiss
    frames.  The aspect of ensuring a restart is enabled by a means to police
    old strays.  Without a time windowing scheme, R_A_TOV is not valid and the
    size of the buffer required is unknown.  What do you think?

    Doug