    RE: FCIP/iFCP : Guarantee In-Order delivery for FC N/NL_ports

    > > The FCIP draft does not preclude multiple TCP connections.
    > > Somesh is right in pointing that we could result in out-of-order if we
    > > have more than one TCP connections between same two FCIP Gateways.
    >
    > Even with just one TCP connection, when frames travel through the "IP
    > cloud", don't we risk out-of-order and duplicated frames at the other end?
    > For multiple connections, it is a sure thing.

    Not a problem - TCP sits above IP and takes care of both of these.  FWIW,
    TCP tends not to be good at dealing with out-of-order packets (e.g., it asks
    for retransmits) resulting in a significant incentive to the IP cloud to not
    deliver
    out of order very often.

    > > However, an FCIP gateway (say FCIP-A) can carry on simultaneous TCP
    > > connections say with FCIP-B and FCIP-C gateways without the
    > > danger of the out-of-order issue.
    >
    > FCIP-A can take responsibility for in-order delivery of outgoing frames.
    > But, there is no guarantee for in-order and non-duplicated reception on
    > either FCIP-B or FCIP-C.

    TCP on FCIP-B and FCIP-C will ensure in-order and non-duplicated reception
    on the FCIP to FCIP links.  The FC fabric is responsible for in-order
    delivery
    across the FC fabric based on this link property.

    Beyond this, FCIP may have framing issues (identification and placement
    of inbound data in the presence of drops) that are similar to iSCSI
    depending
    on how the FCIP nodes are implemented.

    +1 (508) 435-1000 x75140     FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500