    Re: FCIP/iFCP : Guarantee In-Order delivery for FC N/NL_ports

    Sriram Rupanagunta wrote:

    > > > Can this assurance be made even while using multiple TCP
    > > > connections b/n
    > > > edge switch/routers ?
    > > This question is N/A for FCIP, since only a single connection
    > > is specified between FCIP gateways.  In iFCP, a single TCP connection
    >
    > Sometime back, FCIP folks mentioned that there is nothing in the
    > FCIP spec that limits the number of connections to one. My
    > understanding is FCIP leaves this to implementations, whether
    > to use one connection or multiple.

    The above is EXACTLY the reason I have raised this question. I hear
    conflicting statements being made on this issue. I don't see how FCIP can
    use multiple TCP connections per (S_ID, D_ID) pair and guarantee in-order
    delivery without implementing buffering and re-ordering on the FC-IP
    switch.

    Both FCIP and iFCP MUST guarantee in-order delivery since all FC end ports
    (N/NL_Ports) depend on this feature and FC-FLA Table 3 mandates this.

    Regards,
    Santosh

    > Can someone clarify this once for all on this list please ?
    >
    > If there is no limit on the number of connections in FCIP,
    > Santosh's question is valid. In that case, is it fair to
    > say that FCIP does not guarentee orderly delivery ?
    >
    > - Sriram

    begin:vcard
    n:Rao;Santosh
    tel;work:408-447-3751
    x-mozilla-html:FALSE
    org:Hewlett Packard, Cupertino.;SISL
    adr:;;19420, Homestead Road, M\S 43LN,	;Cupertino.;CA.;95014.;USA.
    version:2.1
    email;internet:santoshr@cup.hp.com
    title:Software Design Engineer
    x-mozilla-cpt:;21088