    Re: iSCSI: Abort task

    Julian,

    Exchange state should not go beyond each CDB in the linked command. The
    only requirement is that the same Initiator Task Tag be used for all the
    CDBs in the linked command [and thereby, the task tag cannot be re-used
    for another task, until the linked command is complete].

    So, I don't think this is an issue for Linked Commands.

    However, the Abort Task/Task_Set, Clear Task Set,
    LUN Reset and Target Reset :

    a) Involve device drivers co-ordinating individual I/O aborts across
    different NIC instances to invalidate the SCSI H/W Assist structures that
    are in use by each NIC for the I/Os being aborted on their connections.

    b) Could cause out-of-order issues with commands arriving after completion
    of the task management command. While it is true that
    command ordering should handle any out-of-order issues when
    notifying the SCSI ULP at the target end, it may not be sufficient
    for the following reasons :

    o	The Task Management Commands may be sent with a CmdRN of 0
    	(immediate delivery).

    o	The Abort process at the target end would typically involve
    	invalidation of SCSI Hardware Assist structures at the iSCSI layer
    	and this act is not subject to the ordering enforced by CmdRN.

    BTW, SCSI-FCP implementations are not likely to be prone to this
    out-of-ordering syndrome, because, in a private loop, order is maintained
    and all fabric initiator implementations are required to
    request in-order delivery in their FLOGI with the fabric.
    (FC-FLA Table 3).

    Enforcing "Connection Allegiance" can solve the out-of-ordering and
    multiple network adapter connection issue for the Abort Task.

    For Abort Task Set, Clear Task Set, LUN Reset and Target Reset,
    out-of-ordering and dependence across multiple NIC instances
    seem to be issues.

    Regards,
    Santosh

    --