    RE: iSCSI: Security Comments

    Julo,

    > Joshua,
    >
    > Thanks for your fast reading.
    >
    > -Consolidation?  I am not sure...
    >
    > -Encryption is in (as IPsec - see the appendix) and we are seriously
    > considering reviving TLS - that was previously in
    >   and subsuming (relegating) part of the clutter to TLS

    If you are delegating encryption to IPSec, the shared secret should
    not be exchanged via iSCSI.  Rather, ISAKMP and IKE should be leveraged
    to set up the IPSec SA's, and the entire login process will already have
    been encrypted by IPSec.  IPSec is independent of iSCSI and anything else
    above IP.  Similarly, TLS will require distribution of PK certificates
    which is outside the scope of iSCSI.

    My question was whether iSCSI itself will have an encryption mechanism.
    If it does, I don't see it anywhere.  If it doesn't, then section
    7.2.2.4 needs to be removed.

    >  -Authentication is assumed to be accomplished by the more
    > complex digests
    > by including in the hash a key  using the Secret negotiated

    If iSCSI needs to negotiate a shared secret key, I recommend using
    Diffie Hellman to do it.  This removes the requirement for each
    side to have a public/private key pair, since you are relying on
    other methods than public key.