    RE: New iFCP draft

    Hi Stephen:

    Thanks for the input.

    A little history:

    We added the CRCs to buttress end-to-end rather than on-the-wire error
    detection (although that's an important consideration of course). That is,
    we wanted to give implementations a way to protect the frame while it
    traversed the sending and receiving gateways and other way points in
    between.

    We had decided to make CRCs optional to accomodate those who felt that the
    TCP/IP checksum was adequate for this purpose and easier to deal with.

    In rethinking the issue, my preference now would be to make it mandatory as
    you suggest.  If it were to remain optional, I'd propose to change the spec
    as follows.

    1.  All frames will contain CRC fields.  As described below, the fields may
    or may not contain valid CRCs.

    2.  A sending gateway that supports CRCs can always unconditionally generate
    and include them in outgoing frames. A CRC VALID bit in the encapsulation
    header defines whether or not the CRC fields in the frame are valid.

    3. A gateway that supports CRCs will conditionally check the frame based on
    the setting of the CRC VALID bit.  A gateway that does not support CRCs
    will, of course, bypass such checks.

    With regard to the Fibre Channel undetected error rate you mention, it's my
    impression that the deployed systems are exteremely solid.  As I understand
    it, the 10^^-12 error rate was set on the basis of testability concerns
    rather than physical limitations in the technology.

    Charles

    PS:  In my opinion, any feedback of this type should be interpreted in the
    light you describe.