    Re: iSCSI: target resource "leak"/logout command

    • To: ips@ece.cmu.edu
    • Subject: Re: iSCSI: target resource "leak"/logout command
    • From: Pierre Labat <pierre_labat@hp.com>
    • Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 23:58:09 -0800
    • Sender: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

    sip - Santosh Rao wrote:

    >     +----------------------------------------------------------+
    >     | This is a broadcast message.  Any reply to this          |
    >     | message will broadcast to the entire distribution.       |
    >     | To reply only to the individual submitter, send mail     |
    >     | directly to < mailto:santoshr@cup.hp.com >
    >     +----------------------------------------------------------+

    > Pierre,
    >
    > Some comments embedded below. Perhaps, Doug or some of the other
    target
    > folks can add more comments here.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Santosh
    >
    > Pierre Labat wrote:
    >
    > > Scenario
    > > =======
    > > Session with 2 TCP connections 1 and 2
    > >
    > > 1)  A command completion (StatRN=10) is received by
    > >       the initiator (over cx 1) for the command 5.
    > >
    > > 2) The initiator sends back ExpStatRN=11 with a command over  TCP cx
    1

    > > 3) The TCP cx 1 drops and the command 5 (so ExpStatRN=11) will never

    > >    make it to the target.
    >
    > A connection drop is followed by the initiator migrating its
    outstanding
    > commands to a new connection and issuing a Logout on the CID of the
    failed
    > connection. The logout will cause the target to clean up all its
    resources.

    The logout doesn't cause the target to cleanup all its resources. The
    target
    MAY keep the resources corresponding to the task pending
    on the failed connection. If we don't assume that we can throw away
    the "retry" strategy. The logout indicates to the target that it has
    to throw away all that is incoming on the failed connection and
    that the command pending will be retried (or aborted) from
    another connection.

    > In any cases, no self respecting target will [and can afford to] keep
    its
    > I/O buffers and SEST around forever after sending the Status. They
    will run
    > out of SEST type of resources at the target end. The typical target
    may
    > start a timer once it sends the SCSI Status PDU for a SCSI command and
    on
    > timeout would clean up the SEST entry and release the I/O buffers for
    that
    > timed out I/O which did not get an updated ExpStatRN.

    I know they are such timeouts, but it is better to free up the resources

    sooner
    on the target by designing  a robust protocol. Timers have to be the
    "last resort".

    > Further, on such a timer pop, the target may choose to use a NOP-OUT
    with
    > the "Ping" bit set to test the connection.
    >
    > However, this starts a new issue here. Once again, the philosophy of
    StatRN
    > here seems to be to optimize the recovery paths  and affect the
    performance
    > paths !!

    The only goal of StatRN is to fasten a recovery using "retry".

    > How does the draft cover the situation when an initator has no further

    > outbound traffic on whch it can send an update to ExpStatRN ? If there
    was
    > a burst of traffic from one initiator followed by a period of
    quiescence,
    > it could end up not sending ExpStatRN update to the target and this
    would
    > eat up resources on the target, affecting other initiators that may
    still
    > be talking to it.

    The target sends a NOP-in with the P bit set.

    Regards,

    Pierre