    From: Murali Rajagopal
    To: ips@ece.cmu.edu
    Sent: 1/6/01 12:26 PM
    Subject: Agree or Disagree to Merge FCIP and iFCP

    All:

    The FCIP and iFCP address the FC over IP network transport with entirely
    two
    different objectives.
    FCIP is a simple-minded tunnel that wants to see the basic FC
    connectivity
    extended over IP network. Period!!! iFCP's goal is much more than that
    But that does not mean that we should combine the two just because it
    appaers as though FCIP looks like a subset of iFCP.

    I am speaking for the authors of FCIP collectively, and in our opinion
    mixing the two in a single spec. or a common encapsulation method has
    little
    meaning.Yes we understand that everyone would like to see a single FC
    Over
    IP network solution and not two. But FCIP is really an extender for FC
    Switch Fabrics while iFCP is attempting to "replace" the FC Switching
    fabric. In this sense, iFCP is not in the best interest of either the FC
    Switch vendors or even the T11 FC community at large. So mixing them
    makes
    little business sense. In summary, the FCIP authors would like to keep
    the
    FCIP and the iFCP efforts seperate. I beleive that the iFCP folks are of
    the
    same opinion.

    Now with my TC hat on, I would like to propose that we proceed to solve
    this
    debate by getting a collective consensus from all folks on merging the
    two -
    protocol or otherwise.

    Please reply with a  simple "Agree to merge" or "Disagree to merge"
    statement. No long explanations as to why or why not please!

    -Murali Rajagopal