    RE: iFCP as an IP Storage Work Item

    Interesting comment.....

    If your FC disks and FC HBAs are local why would you use FCIP?

    -----Original Message-----
    From: mark carlson [mailto:mark.carlson@sun.com]
    Sent: Monday, January 08, 2001 12:24 PM
    To: David Peterson
    Cc: Ips@Ece. Cmu. Edu; Black_David@emc.com
    Subject: Re: iFCP as an IP Storage Work Item

    David Peterson wrote:

    > Regarding #1: I believe the existing FC host drivers and HBA's will
    > work quite well using FCIP or an iSCSI gateway. A gateway protocol
    > is not required to allow an iSCSI HBA to function with an existing FC
    > device.

    In order to use FCIP, I have to purchase at least 2 FC switches
    and 2 FCIP devices (unless it's in the switch) to connect my FC
    HBA and my FC Disk even if they are local to each other.

    While you could do it this way, my preference would be a simple, cheap
    conversion box at each end. This same conversion box, if it supported
    the iSCSI protocol as well, would transition me to iSCSI when I have
    an iSCSI HBA.

    > Regarding #2: under IETF rules there will be no support from multiple
    > companies, only individual contributors:)

    You misunderstand. While there is no requirement that the individual
    contributors come from separate companies, I would not like to see
    all the authors of the document coming from the same company ;-)

    -- mark