    RE: iFCP as an IP Storage Work Item

    Hi Venkat:

    I don't find much of technical substance to reply to here.  Obviously,
    you're entitled to your views and a position based on your internal business
    and product development considerations is not something that can be
    productively debated in this or any other forum.

    I've interspersed some additional comments below.

    How can product development concerns be anything else? That being the case,
    I don't see how such issues can be productively addressed by the WG.

    That said, I'm having a hard time connecting the dots of your market
    viability argument.  On the one hand you imply that iFCP is not viable from
    a marketing perspective, while asserting at the same time that you'll be
    drawn into building iFCP products.  Why else would you have that problem
    except in response to the demands of the marketplace? If you truly believe
    it's not viable, then you can safely ignore the technology and go about your
    business.

    > > Such confusion, if it exists, is best sorted out in the
    > marketplace.  In
    > my
    > > opinion, it's not the business of standards organizations
    > to anoint any
    > one
    > > technology by picking winners and losers (as some would
    > apparently wish).
    >
    > The standards organizations often pick something and others
    > are forced to
    > support that.
    > We could let the marketplace decide, but that can be an
    > expensive option for the market and can be detrimental to all
    > vendors.

    I don't understand where force enters the picture.

    Your position seems based on the arbitrary assumption that some solutions
    (namely yours) have a greater inherent claim to legitimacy than others.
    That's certainly a matter of opinion. I've always believed that market
    competition is a good thing. Obviously, you don't seem to share that view.

    >...............................................As an
    > example, while we are arguing about iFCP, FCIP and iSCSI,
    > InfiniBand may
    > enter the market and with a coherent proposal, may make this
    > irrelevant.

    I don't think the time taken to settle this matter is going to make much
    difference in the scheme of things. Nonethless, it strikes me that iSCSI and
    FCIP are making good progress while this debate goes on.

    > I assume that you agree that the combination of iSCSI, FCIP
    > and iFCP has
    > redundant technology elements.

    Commonality -- yes to the extent that they all use the same set of wires and
    deliver storage solutions.  Redundancy? Absolutely not.

    >...............................We believe the IP Storage
    > Working Group needs
    > to address the redundant parts which may mean picking
    > something.
    > When it
    > does, we expect vendors to adopt and support what is picked.

    Who decides what's 'redundant' and on what basis?

    > Do you not see
    > a role in standards bodies to pick some technology?

    Absolutely not --  even if it were my favorite solution (as opposed to
    yours).

    >..............................If you do
    > not, why is
    > iFCP being brought to the IP Storage Working Group as a work item?

    We brought iFCP to the WG not because we want to legislate what the market
    should have but because we believe it can coexist with and offer benefits
    that are unique and distinct from the other technologies on the table.

    Will we also support iSCSI? You bet. We're in the business of supplying
    end-to-end IP-based storage solutions. Unlike some, we see these
    technologies as opportunities to be exploited, not threats to be feared or
    suppressed.

    > > Such assertions about processing overhead are totally without
    > > foundation or substance.
    >
    > I do not think so. To perform cut-through routing, we only
    > need to examine
    > the first 8 bits of a frame (the domain id part of D_ID) to
    > send it to an
    > E_Port. If it is within the switch, you can do so by
    > examining the first 24
    > bits of the frame (D_ID). Typically, most switches can do
    > this by adding
    > less than two to five microseconds to the latency. To perform
    > a lookup to
    > establish the From and To of both S_ID and D_ID and
    > substitute the addresses
    > and recompute a new CRC or digest would, in my opinion, take
    > more cycles.
    > Evidently, you seem to disagree, which is fine.

    While a discussion around clock cycles would be fun sometime, I'll simply
    point out that we also have a similar bag of tricks and we expect our
    performance to be on a par.  Anyhow, in the context of a total system, I
    believe this is something that gets lost in the noise.

    <remainder deleted>

    Charles
    Charles Monia
    Senior Technology Consultant