    Re: iFCP as an IP Storage Work Item

    Charles,

    There's one item with your reply that I have a question about.  With regards
    to processing overhead, do you agree that FCIP as a tunneling protocol
    would not have to look for ELSs in the Fibre Channel datastream as iFCP
    must do?

    I'm not arguing that iFCP should not be a IP Storage work item; I'm
    concerned about the attempts to merge FCIP and iFCP.

                                                    Ken

    Charles Monia wrote:

    > Hi Venkat:
    >
    > The issues you raise have been discussed at length before (but apparently
    > not to your satisfaction). That aside, the general thrust of this note seems
    > to reflect business rather than technical concerns.
    >
    > Within the parameters of the WG charter and IETF ground rules, it's my view
    > that the ips wg needs to be a vehicle for bringing high-quality solutions to
    > the marketplace, not obstructing technologies because they are inconvenient
    > or conflict with someone's business model.
    >
    > See other responses below.
    >
    > Charles

    snip . . .

    > > 6. iFCP addds processing overhead to frames
    > >
    > > In contrast to iSCSI, iFCP requires examination of every frame and
    > > substitution of addresses at both iFCP Portals. This has the
    > > potential to
    > > add unwanted latencies as well as consume processing overhead
    > > on gateways.
    >
    > Such assertions about processing overhead are totally without foundation or
    > substance.
    >
    > > Given this, it would be hard to compete with cut-through routing based
    > > products in a pure FC or IP based storage network.

    snip . . .

    --
    Kenneth Hirata
    Vixel Corporation