    RE: iFCP as an IP Storage Work Item

    I support further development of iFCP within the IPS Storage WG. It breaks new grounds in the FC-to-IP transition realm.

    I'm not satisfied with just iSCSI and FCIP. I often think of FCIP as a steep precinct wall that is being erected too high too fast. With a fair amount of risks lurking (one-fits-all TCP tunnel, dual routing planes, FC dialects' autobahn, manual administration). As for public scrutiny: Out of 3000 messages in my ips@ece.cmu.edu mailbox, I only count about 30 messages with technical comments to the FCIP drafts.

    Some of us can already give iFCP credit for making the FC-to-IP adaptation a more mundane subject. FCIP and the industry can as well benefit from this FCIP/iFCP constructive dualism in the WG (via interesting byproducts such as iSNS, or common framing techniques).

    -franco

    -----
    Franco Travostino, Director Content Internetworking Lab
    Technology Center
    Nortel Networks, Inc.
    600 Technology Park
    Billerica, MA 01821 USA