    RE: iFCP as an IP Storage Work Item

    > Charles and Stephen,
    >
    > Considering iFCP as a replacement to iSCSI concerns me as well.  In this
    > case I share Stephen's concern that a native iFCP device must always be
    > burdened with applying a FCP header into the iFCP frames, as well as other
    > issues.

    I'm not sure that anyone has really defined a "native" iFCP device. I would
    venture to guess that a "native" iFCP device (or "native" FCIP device for
    that matter) would perform encapsulation of FC frames in the HBA rather than
    in a physically separate edge device. Thus, the FC HBA and the iFCP gateway
    would be collapsed into a single physical realization. With this description
    of a "native" iFCP device, I would argue that the overhead in implementing
    FCP protocol, which would amount to header manipulations and context
    management, is manageable and not entirely different than managing an iSCSI
    protocol session. You have many analogous things to deal with like
    exchanges, logins, flow-control, etc. So, I don't quite see the extra burden
    on such an endpoint product. Now, the issue of replacing iSCSI with iFCP is
    an entirely different question and I'm not sure I want to get anywhere near
    that one ;-)

    > Neither iFCP or FCIP are conducive to HBA's in my opinion.  iFCP as
    > a replacement to FCIP is more palatable.   However, in comparing iFCP and
    > FCIP, I can't get past iFCP's interoperating issues with non-FCP frames,
    > like proprietary FC remote mirroring and clustering protocols and VI/FC.

    I'm not sure I understand your comment regarding remote mirroring, but as
    far as FC-VI is concerned, a modest extension to the iFCP proposal (support
    for FARP) would be all that is necessary to support the transport of VI.

    > -Howard

    -Wayland