    RE: iFCP as an IP Storage Work Item

    David,

    Your objections stem from added capabilities of iFCP.  I would not agree
    that iSCSI is a replacement for something that is roughly an enhanced
    tunneling protocol for FC.  The question I raised was whether FCIP and iFCP
    group could agree on an encapsulation structure that would provide needed
    extensibility to allow both schemes to function.  Finding such common ground
    would be a productive and provide for future developments now excluded by a
    narrower view of what should be allowed within encapsulation.  I would be
    willing to bet 90% of the transport problems of FCIP and iFCP are shared.
    iSCSI does not offer even a facsimile of the same structures and would enjoy
    virtually no commonality to either FCIP or iFCP.

    How a recovered frame is routed can be considered subject to a different
    proposal.  You should view proposals as transport combined with routing
    management.  In the case of FCIP, the routing will be just a simple physical
    connector.  iFCP expanses this possibility.  If you envision being able to
    cope with optional fields, both proposals can live within the same
    encapsulation proposal combined with separate definitions of B or N ports
    and their requisite routing.  Finding the ability to cooperate at the
    encapsulation level of each proposal would allow both groups to share
    developing a sound structure that allows the extensibility required by both.
    Think of it as FCE-BB or FCE-NT or something similar where FCE is the
    encapsulation proposal and BB or NT would be the node definition of the end
    point.

    Doug