    RE: iSCSI: RE: Framing Discussion

    Y.P.

    So you agree that each application requiring content directed services will
    necessitate an additional vendor unique hardware interface.  The T10 group
    does have the required parameters to support SCSI, and  Microsoft, Compaq,
    and Intel have parameters to support VI and most OS implementations already
    support network devices at the transport level or below.  With Microsoft
    wishing the addition of IPC, there is now at least 4 vendor unique hardware
    interfaces expected of this network connection if such level of service is
    required.  Do you see an advantage discussing all these interfaces together
    than each separately?  If we can find a non-application specific means of
    providing these services, then the world is spared these hardware variants.
    I would expect a great deal of complexity in attempting to nail down all the
    details required to interface so many clever independent hardware solutions.

    With one interface requiring the application to reconstruct the datagrams
    for sending a retry, and with the standard method handling such details
    below the application, there will be a significant change required to
    support both modes of operation.  iSCSI is already a transport layer in
    itself by allowing a separate retry mechanism from that of either SCSI or
    TCP.  iSCSI combines multiple connections and implements its own flow
    control and error detection.  Combine that with a layer between IP and TCP
    to inject the concept of iSCSI PDUs as an element contained and aligned with
    TCP.  From this alignment or framing, out of sequence network segments can
    have the data extracted from application specific encapsulation and placed
    within third-hand buffers.  This allows a simple ASIC which uses embedded
    memory rather than external memory.  Perhaps more importantly, the number of
    drivers to support this plethora becomes another concern if to see
    standardization.

    Doug